"We remember before our God and Father your work produced by faith, your labor prompted by love, and your endurance inspired by hope in our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Thessalonians 1:3

Search This Blog

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Day Dreaming of...Tacos...Burritos...

The power's been out since sometime Monday.  I promised myself not to complain ... so here's my "daydreaming."



Last night, we got the generator going - Praise the Lord - We didn't think it would work for a while - and it stayed on all night and was still on when I went home for lunch today.  It kind of feels like Hannukah, like the oil should have run out by now.  While the fridge had cooled off, most of the food was bad.  I threw out so much rotten, spoiled, or moldy food today.  It brought tears to my eyes to waste food like that.  Ninah has become a constant reminder of the huge hunger problem here.  I just don't even look at food the same.   So, I was hungry, and there was no McDonald's to run to, no vegetables in the fridge to chop, no red red to heat up.  I don't want to be over dramatic, and I could have walked just ten minuted down the road to buy chicken and rice, but it's the feeling I am trying to convey.  I looked in the pantry and heated up some red beans, added some spice, and cooked a hand full of rice, on a gas stove.  Lunch was fine, and I was thankful (it would have been nice to have a taco or burrito beside it, and some cheese on top).  But, it was such a strange feeling, to not have food readily available.  If I, having a job and everything I could ever need here somehow find myself in that position - how much more easily it would be for a Ghanaian with minimal income to be, and not have extra rice and beans in the pantry, or the house, or wherever they are presently "squatting."  

I sat down, and opened my Bible to my reading in Leviticus (a little behind in the chronological reading) and never in all my time reading through the monotony of the laws in the Old Testament, have I understood the full impact of the sacrifices God asked of the Israelites in the wilderness.   They were not just monetary or commodity sacrifices, they were also emotional and physical sacrifices.  Israel was living in tents, constantly moving, the Lord was providing for them only what was needed.  They did not have a McDonald's to fun to, no vegetables in the fridge to chop, no red red to heat up.  From what little food and other resources they had, God asked them to sacrifice the best, or the first, or the best parts to Him.  It would be so hard, if I was trying to, for example, feed a malnourished child, to choose to give the best of my food to God, and to Ninah next.  Even now, fully acknowledging and believing that God created all things and is in control of all things - I have a new respect for the Israelites who were able to keep the law, and keep God first.

No comments:

Post a Comment