"We remember before our God and Father your work produced by faith, your labor prompted by love, and your endurance inspired by hope in our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Thessalonians 1:3

Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Action Painting!


Eighth grade has been studying the Abstract Expressionist artists from New York in the 1940's.  Once we understood their process - we took a day to "splatter paint."  It was really fun - and the kids did a great job!



We lined up behind the school and made a mess! The next class, each student had an opportunity to share how they felt while painting, and what they thought their paintings expressed about themselves.  We talked about how Jackson Pollock meditated and "tapped into his sub-conscience"before and while he was painting.  We talked about how we meditate as Christians - prayer - and we talked  about what impact prayer could have on our art and personal expression.  Good stuff.


The paintings turned out great - with one exception - our paintings were suppose to be abstract and non-objective - so even though I loved that one student dedicated his painting to Michael Jackson - we had to paint this out, after I took a picture of course!

1 comment:

  1. Hello, I stumbled across this post whilst I was doing an 'Action Painting' search on blogger. I love your blog, and this post stood out to me as i'm currently doing a project on Abscract Expressionism for my final project at college. I love these ones that the kids did- they're fab! :) Action painting is so much fun!

    ReplyDelete