"We remember before our God and Father your work produced by faith, your labor prompted by love, and your endurance inspired by hope in our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Thessalonians 1:3

Search This Blog

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Content

I feel like I am just now settling back into life in Africa and again loving the work the Lord has planned for me here.  Friday at school was International Day - and wow - what an international day it was!  I was overwhelmed in the moment - what a beautiful place - where so many cultures come together - Love it.

(Ghanaian, Lebanese, Nigerian, Korean)

(Haitian)

(Some of the South Africans)

(Lebanese)

(Lebanese, Ethiopian)

(Ghanaian, Korean)

(Lebanese, American)

(Dutch/Zimbabwe/Ghanaian, Scottish/British, Togolese/American, Ghanaian)

(Lebanese, American)

Laba family - originally from Togo - but have been living in Homewood in Birmingham, Al for the past few years! LOVE them - their family works for Compassion International.

This is Lyle Folorunso and her "sister."  Lyle is a clothing designer and designed and gave me the dress I am wearing for Christmas this year.  So, I dressed Ghanaian, taught the kids about Mexico all day, but am in fact American - I know, shocker.

(a bunch of the teachers trying all the interesting, but mostly delicious, food from literally all over the world)

After school, I headed to the orphanage to start drawing for the mural on the wall.  The sun was perfect to trace the kids shadows - it was so much fun!  Today, I finished drawing and got most of the painting done.  I had lots of "help" - so there are plenty of touch ups to make later this week.

(The very beginning)

(Me with Akyini - my student and buddy - and daughter of the lady who runs the orphanage)





I am very pleased with it so far - but I am not finished yet!  Most of the shadows need some help.  Tonight we had friends over for ground nut soup and red-red, yum!  I am exhausted, so I volunteered to stay in...so I am in the air conditioning typing write now with our baby girl sleeping right next to me.  



Content.  Thank you Jesus.

4 comments:

  1. Love the wall. It's so African, and yet designed by an American. Love it when we come together. Thanks for spreading your love and art over the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The mural is beautiful...just like you! Love you Lauren!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The little girl is so sweet. i love the mural. It looks like your work. So cool that you did that. You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lauren,

    I LOVE the wall! It looks AWESOME! Such a great idea & neat for the surrounding community to be seeing too. It is such a great way to show that the kids are valued & treasured.

    ReplyDelete