"We remember before our God and Father your work produced by faith, your labor prompted by love, and your endurance inspired by hope in our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Thessalonians 1:3

Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

What would it take...

...for you to be "content?"


I have moved every year, maybe more often than that (?!) for the past ten years or so - from dorm to dorm, to Atlanta, Birmingham, Auburn, Africa, and now into the unknown. WHAT will it take for me to be "content?"


My Aunt Dixie said she has heard that contentment meant living independent of circumstances.  Do circumstances define your level of contentment?


The Bible says to "be content with what you have" (Hebrews 13:5) and that there is "great gain in godliness with contentment, for we brought nothing into the world, and we cannot take anything out of the world." (1 Timothy 6:6-8)  


But -- am I really "content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities???????"  Do I really believe that "when I am weak, then I am strong?????" (2 Corinthians 12:10)  Wouldn't it all be more fun if everything was easy and "good?"



But no, He is not finished with me yet ... I am learning to find joy and contentment in my struggles.  I have needed Jesus like I have never needed Jesus before.  In the middle of all sorts of circumstances this year, I have found myself rejoicing that Christ is guiding me and teaching me and pulling me into His word.  Circumstances are always changing, people are always changing, so CHOOSE to "give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you." (1 Thessalonians 5:18)  

So, no matter whether your circumstances seem "good" or "bad" today - remember that God, and God alone is the author and perfector of our faith, we don't know what we need for our sancitification - God and God alone knows.  Rejoice, and Bless His name independent of your circumstance.

"...I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content."
Philippians 4:11

No comments:

Post a Comment