"We remember before our God and Father your work produced by faith, your labor prompted by love, and your endurance inspired by hope in our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Thessalonians 1:3

Search This Blog

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Paper!!!! (and a potty story...)

So, I think I’ll start near the end of the story today – and then fill in the details later. Just a warning – if you don’t want to hear a “potty story” – just skip to the pictures!

I was an hour outside of Accra, in a village called Amrahia.  I fished my project at 5:20 PM and was ready to head home, when I realized that I might need to find a restroom…

I tried to discreetly ask my Ghanaian friend, Lydia, if there was a proper restroom in the area.  She, not so discreetly, asked the Ghanaian friends we were visiting.

To understand what happens next, you must first understand that obibini’s (Ghanian people) treat oburoni’s (white people) differently than they treat each other.  Sometimes this is a “good” thing – when Ghanaians insist on doing work or carry things for us – that can be nice.  Often it is a “bad” thing – when we get the “oburoni price” for something at the market or a taxi.  This situation somehow fell into both categories.  The Ghanaians knew that I was not used to the way they “free themselves” or “pass water” – as they say.  So, it was a “good” thing that they wanted to find me a decent restroom.  It was a “bad” situation because they over-reacted to the oburoni needing a restroom, and shortly everyone in the area was working together to help me find a place to “free myself.”

So, after a group discussion about my private situation, I was taken to a neighbor’s house and pointed to a dilapidated wooden structure attached to the outside of the house – and, no, there is no way that I even loosely use the term “restroom” for this place.  I walked in, worried about offending them if it wasn’t “good” enough for me, and terrified of what I was about to see and smell.   Much to my surprise, there was not much to see or smell.  It was just a sloped concrete floor, with a small gutter behind it.  Nope – no hole – no anything – just a place to “free yourself” on the floor, trusting that it will make its way correctly to the gutter. 

I couldn’t do it.  I just couldn’t.

There was, of course, more group discussion of how and where I could go.   I ended up just holding it for the next three hours that it took to get us back to Accra.  Yes, three hours.  The Ghanaian people are so “polite” that they wanted to drive us back to town – but several problems arose.  First, there was no car, then the taxi driver didn’t come, so the pastor came to get us in his car, but his car was out of fuel, so we waited with his family for an hour while he went to buy fuel, then we had to get a running start in the car, drive to the gas station to buy a few more Cedis worth of fuel, drive a few more minutes – only to run into the driver from school and PRAISE THE LORD – hop in the car with him and safely return to Accra only a few minutes past 8! Ah – Ghana!

Now – back to the beginning – we were in Amrahia for my first paper-making workshop!!! It went well – several people came out to learn and sign contracts – where I loan them the materials and they pay me back in the paper that they make.   The workshop was awesome  - I think the people are excited about the work!



Look at me beating the paper - with a fufu pounder!!! 


But, only until Lydia took it away me.




Then, everyone wanted to try!







While we were signing contracts, the kids tried - isn't she cute?!





They made fun of me - saying that I couldn't carry my big bowl around - I showed them :)



It was a great afternoon - then, we tried to go home...

3 comments:

  1. I have never been so thankful for a public restroom in all of my life ;) Thanks Lauren!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just one of those things we take for granted in America!! Can't wait to get back - just a month away now!

    ReplyDelete