"We remember before our God and Father your work produced by faith, your labor prompted by love, and your endurance inspired by hope in our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Thessalonians 1:3

Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

The most wonderful sound in the World.

Birds chirping?   Rain pouring?  Praise songs with an acoustic guitar?

Nope, this sound comes only after hours of teaching in humid 90-something degree weather, with the AC not working, fans and lights flickering off and on, students and teachers glistening with sweat, everyone lethargically trying to teach or learn.  It’s only these past few weeks and months that I have learned to absolutely rejoice hearing the generator begin to roar.  Yes, the most wonderful sound in the World is the generator.   It brings light and life to our school, restoring energy to ourselves and our students.  Thank you, Jesus, for the generator.

This made me think about the worst sound in the World...which is the sound that comes from the rooster that climbs onto the wall right outside my bedroom at 4 am and yells at the top of his little lungs that he thinks it's time we get up.


Yesterday, while we were having our fridge "fixed" (again) Joyce - our Ghanaian friend that lives with us- came to get my keys to the house, so the repairman could get in the house.  For whatever reason, the whole fridge debacle made me so angry at that point.  Maybe it was just the heat and the rooster?  Maybe it was because she had disrupted my class to get them?  Maybe I was just irritable from not having any real food for days?  I don't know why - but I began to unload - "Ah - this is so ridiculous, how do they expect us to eat without a fridge?!?!" And, then I stopped, and realized that Joyce doesn't even have a fridge.  She doesn't have a fridge and she has two small children to feed.  

"How do you do it???" I asked.  
"I cook small small, one meal at a time." Joyce said. 
Oh, the things we take for granted.  

Writing all this made me question, "Why am I doing this, again?!"  And, then I got this:

2 comments:

  1. Oh my, that'll make you cry! Thanks as always for such an honest perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so sweet. i love that they are 'allowed' to call you miss lj. i know you love that!

    ReplyDelete