"We remember before our God and Father your work produced by faith, your labor prompted by love, and your endurance inspired by hope in our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Thessalonians 1:3

Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Asantewa's Inspiration

So, the Lord has laid some new ideas for ministry in Africa on my heart.  He has given me ideas, and whenever I have forgotten or doubted, He shows up and throws some new encouragement or a new contact my way.   The vision He has given me is to help  

Decrease poverty, support ministry and increase awareness of life struggles in Africa through the visual arts.

So, I am praying for God to shine light on ministries and groups of people in need here in Ghana.  I want to find groups of poeple that I can train to create unique and quality products, that I can sell to America to raise money for people and ministry  here, as well as encourage and create awareness for those of you at home in the States.



One of my students at AIS, and I traveled all over the Greater Accra Region of Ghana a few weekends ago.  We were on a search for awesome handmade beads.  The beads I love here in Ghana are the glass beads.  People recycle glass bottles, breaking them and melting the glass into molds.  I think we went to three or four different markets, finding our way via "tro-tro" - often going the wrong way!  So, it was an exciting day and we have plenty of awesome jewelry to show for it!




After bringing them home to see what would sell in the states, I was able to give back 300 Ghana Cedis to Asantewa and her mother's ministry "Children of the Light!"


Here we all are: Kwadjo Asantewa, Silas, Autie Jean, and myself.

Asantewa is busy making more jewelry for me to sell in the states on my next trip home - which will be sometime in mid June.  I was able to get a website up for contacts who may be interested in selling handmade goods from Ghana or organizations in Africa who could benefit from some encouragement in the visual arts.

Check it out and let me know what you think - www.inspiredbythecreator.org

2 comments:

  1. Another thing a lot of people have commented on is my fabric, patchwork bag from Accra. I think those would sell really well too. So many ladies have asked me where they can get one.

    So cool Lauren! I love to hear about all the awesomeness God is up to in your life!

    Hugs from all of us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LJ! This is awesome!! I'd love to help on this end... obviously I don't have a store, but I go to a BIG church and I know people would think everything about this jewelry is beautiful. Praying!

    ReplyDelete