"We remember before our God and Father your work produced by faith, your labor prompted by love, and your endurance inspired by hope in our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Thessalonians 1:3

Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Bibles, class, HOME at last.


Last night I came home to see Mary reading to Jeff from the precious brand new children's Bible I was able to share with them.   I was so moved, going to pick these up from Brother Charles at AUMC.  The senior girl's discipleship group had taken the time to go through each one laminating the covers and signing their names and favorite Bible verses inside.   Thank you guys so much for making each one special.  I was able to bring Bibles back, given by the church, my aunt Dixie, my friend Jill, and my sweet sister Tracey.  I am going out to church at Pram Pram the first Sunday of May to deliver the rest of the Bibles there!


Today was back to art class as usual! The sixth grade has been discussing folk art - which is so much fun.  Artists are considered folk artists if they are not traditionally trained artist, and generally tend to be very spiritual people.   This is a painting by Sister Getrude Morgan - a very charismatic folk artist originally from Alabama.  She wrote a poem along with it, that I just think is absolutely amazing.

"Jesus is my air
Plane, you hold
the World in your hand, you
Guide me through the land
Jesus is my air Plane I
say Jesus is my air
Plane We're striving for
 that promise land.  Come
on, Join our Band let's make
 it in that Kingdom land."


But the folk art project we are doing is in the fashion of this Howard Finster sculpture of Paradise Gardens.  As a class we read through the prophecies in Zechariah 14.  We talked about all the characteristics of the New Jerusalem and all the ways the Bible describes it - and I challenged them - boys vs. girls (of course) to build their own found object/folk art sculptures inspired by the scriptures.  And it's been pretty cool.




They've been working hard for a while now, and we are getting down to the details - church pews and such, it looks really awesome!

We are also working on West African ceremonial costumes, in which the chiefs would spin and dance, creating wind believed to be blessings from the tribe's ancestors.



 And some Surrealist collages:




Which led me to do one of my own collages, in this one I am making a house.  Transition from "HOME" to my home now is so interesting.  There are so many differences and so many different things people choose to build their houses on and from.



The Bible tells us, "Unless the Lord builds the house, those who build it labor in vain." Psalm 127:1

I am ever thankful for each part of my life that is built by the Lord.  As I continue to make mistakes, and feel constantly unworthy of the salvation I have been given, He allows me to fall right back into His forgiving arms, pouring out His grace and love over and over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment