"We remember before our God and Father your work produced by faith, your labor prompted by love, and your endurance inspired by hope in our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Thessalonians 1:3

Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Humble thy self in the sight of the Lord...


I LOVE having Ghanaians take our pictures! It is always so great - most of them have no idea how to work a camera - and then they never ever get everyone actually in the picture :)


Here is our camera-man, and tro-tro driver from yesterday. We were coming back from the bead factory.  I got some really fun beads!


Here are some of the kids playing with the beads this morning - too cute.




I made a few things myself last night - let me know what you think!



The necklace is on a strip of batik fabric - knotted between each bead - it kind of looks like straw in the picture - but it's nice in real life.

So, I have been reconsidering humility.  I always thought humility came because of something that God did to us to - like when we became too dependent of something in this Earth, or too proud of our position on this Earth - God grabs our attention by humbling us.  And, while this does happen, according to the Bible (and the song) - it does not have to be this way.  

"Clothe yourselves, all of you, with humility towards one another, for 'God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.'  Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God..."  - 1 Peter 5:5-6

The Bible commands that we humble ourselves.  I had never thought humility was something I had much control of.  I don't think it means that we should self-sabotage our next job interview or wear mix-matched shoes, just so that we make ourselves look bad and become "humbled."  I think it means realizing, and remembering the greatness of our God.  I think it means realizing, and remembering how tiny we are in relation to all of God's creation.  I think it means realizing, and remembering that we are human and only God is God.

"What is your life?  For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes.  Instead you ought to say, 'If the Lord wills, we will live and do this or that."  James 4:14-15

1 comment:

  1. I thought it was interesting you thought it was something God "did to us" and yet the Scripture (I Peter 5) said it something God gives. Then it's great to realize we can put on ourselves. Just as we choose our clothes and jewelry, we can choose our attitude.

    I think a necklace with a large center piece would be good too. I'm at least seeing people where them a lot.

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete