"We remember before our God and Father your work produced by faith, your labor prompted by love, and your endurance inspired by hope in our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Thessalonians 1:3

Search This Blog

Sunday, March 28, 2010

The Plague of Happiness and the JOY of family!

I think I watched 5 movies on the plane home, and had time to sleep and read and eat as well.  One of the movies, embarrassingly, brought me to tears!  It was called "Everybody's is fine," with Robert De Niro.  It might be a really old movie, I have no idea - but his character really just hit me.  He lives his life to "provide for" and "encourage" his family - asking each one of them "Are you HAPPY?"

Maybe it's just my family, and maybe its just southern culture, but so much of the time, we live to make each other "happy," and even more often we arrange our lives to give the appearance of being "happy."  What in the World does "happiness" even look like?  For so long, I believed "happiness" looked like health, busy-ness, success, having the right relationships, the cutest dress, or the the most awesome shoes.

I think people in the US perceive my decision to move to Africa as something I am doing to make myself "happy."  All the time, on phone conversations, emails, when I run into family and friend at church, they all ask, "Well, are you happy?"  And it's nice, I think.  I think everyone is trying to ask a nice question, but it is so hard for me to answer for them.  My move across the ocean had nothing to do with making me "happy," and had even less to do with making my family and friends "happy."  It was THE hardest decision I have ever made.

I am living in Africa, because that is where God has called me.  And yes, I have a great PEACE in my life, and I am able to REST because I know that I am inside of the Lord's will, and I praise Him everyday for that!  But I believe that "happiness" is an empty goal.  It doesn't mean anything.  We live in a fallen and sinful World, where God allows bad and sad stuff to happen all the time.  His goal for us on this Earth is our sanctification, our completion, our total dependence on Him, our ability to see through the temporary things of this world - to the eternal.  I have found that usually means Him ripping the stuff we see as important out of our lives, and it hurts.  But it creates in us a need for Him, and a better picture of His loving, merciful, and joyful character.

Yes, the Lord gives us JOY and He gives us PEACE.  The catch is, we have to CHOOSE it!  How do I choose JOY when I am looking face to face with a 9 lb one year old orphan?  Where is the "happiness" there?  We all have our battles we are facing and things that are being ripped away or out from under us - we are all part of this fallen world - but where will you choose to fall?   I choose to fall on my face at the feet of Jesus, the author and perfecter of my faith, the redeemer of my soul.

On a more easily joyful note this is what I have been doing the past few days:

I visited Elizabeth's class room!

She is doing an awesome job - the classroom was organized and colorful!

I got to do a little art project with them - we made "Letter bugs!"

Then, it was time to get ready for her shower! She wanted a Mexican theme - and everyone was required to wear fake mustaches!  Tracey was by far the best dressed.

Ha - mom and aunt Lee Alice had to wear mustaches too!

Me, Mom, Elizabeth, Lee Alice, and Tracey looking nice.

Dad even made an appearance!

Unicorn pinata at the end of the night - they are no where close to it!

It was such a blessing to go to American church today, I went to two services!  I'm trying to rest this afternoon, I have friends coming in town for dinner tonight and a list of wedding chores waiting for me!!

4 comments:

  1. Oh man! Thank you for sharing friend! Nicole and I were JUST talking about this! Missing you here...

    ReplyDelete
  2. sara, your lovely roommate.March 28, 2010 at 3:43 PM

    bah! its so weird reading your blog when its not about stuff i already know! there are so many things i want to tell youuuu. and i wish you were here. but it sounds/looks like being home has been GREAT so far !

    p.s. i will TRY to leave it in until you get back! it should last a month soooo... as long as i keep it in that long.. ha! what a mess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy you are home Lauren! :) How long is your break? Do you think you might have room for a book or two on the way back? I want to send Mama Shelter (at BH) some Bible Study books at her request.

    Hugs!!!!!!!!!

    Patty & the gang

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your comments and I can relate. I went to Togo to learn and work for God, not to find or seek happiness. It was not a vacation but hard work that hurt and taught me so much about our God and our world.

    ReplyDelete