"We remember before our God and Father your work produced by faith, your labor prompted by love, and your endurance inspired by hope in our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Thessalonians 1:3

Search This Blog

Sunday, March 14, 2010

"Don't pick the snails"

...was the topic of the sermon at church today.  "I stopped on my way to pick the snails.  They looked so delicious, I could not chose one, each one looked bigger and more delicious than the first.  After picking all the snails, I realized how much time had pasted.  I should not have looked to the side of the road to pick the snails.  Don't stop to pick the snails! Look past the snails and stay on the path we are called to run.  Paul and Joshua had the opportunity to stop and pick the snails, but they didn't...."

Just another Ghanaian sermon I have a hard time relating abut kind of relates to the Bible.

So, I was thinking during church, instead of listening.  I have been stressed from conflict on our team this week, and stress always makes us revert to old patterns of behavior - and for me, I tried to become a "fixer" again.  Yes, I am a chronic fixer.  I relate well to the Coldplay song "Fix You"


When you try your best, but you don't succeed

When you get what you want, but not what you need
When you feel so tired, but you can't sleep
Stuck in reverse

And the tears come streaming down your face
When you lose something you can't replace
When you love someone, but it goes to waste
Could it be worse?

Lights will guide you home
And ignite your bones
And I will try to fix you...


So, instead of listening, I began researching the role of "fixers" in the Bible, and it is most different from Coldplay's secular and failing attempts to fix.  Most references were to Pharaoh "fixing" rations of food or  God "fixing" the boundaries of the Earth during creation.  More interesting, every single verse that referenced any human being "fixing" anything, they were "fixing" their eyes Heavenward - on Christ's Word and Spirit.

Then I shall not be put to shame, having my eyes fixed on all your commandments.  - Psalm 119:6


I will meditate on your precepts and fix my eyes on your ways. - Psalm 119:15


Even the word help brought up references to crying out for help from the Lord, our help is in the Lord, and when the Bible mentions people helping, the help is from the Lord.  


Peace, peace to you, and peace to your helpers! For your God helps you. -  1 Chronicles 12:18


With him is an arm of flesh, but with us is the LORD our God, to help us and to fight our battles. - 2 Chronicles 32:8

So, there is definitely a place to help others, but only when we are able to first accept help from God.  Trying to "fix" other people is trying to do God's job. 


Our soul waits for the LORD; he is our help and our shield. - Psalm 33:20


So, we are called to wait on the Lord, not trying to fix each other, but speaking the truth in love, keeping our eyes "fixed" on God, and by all means, not stopping to "pick the snails!"

1 comment:

  1. I am a "fixer" too. It must run in our family.
    Maybe there are too many problems around us, and we are problem solvers, or we need peace. But, I relate. After all these years, I am just now learning to wait on God and look for His hands before ever lifting mine. Lord help us all.

    ReplyDelete