"We remember before our God and Father your work produced by faith, your labor prompted by love, and your endurance inspired by hope in our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Thessalonians 1:3

Search This Blog

Monday, August 10, 2009

Jet lag still??

So...I woke up at four or so this morning to the guards sweeping around the house, then almost fell asleep during orientation, then went for a run this afternoon and now I am wide away again! Crazy!  I can't wait to get used to the time difference!

Orientation went well today, it was great to meet all the teachers.  It is going to be really different teaching at a christian school.  It is such a blessing to work with people who are all living and teaching with the same goals in mind.  While our school is focused most on quality education, it is also focused on bringing the kids who attend to Christ.  Many of the students who attend AIS are not Christians.  Please keep AIS and these students in your prayers, as we might be the only Christians in their lives. 

All the teachers were really interesting and had great experiences traveling around Accra -- for anyone wanting to come visit!!  I also got our schedule-- Christmas break is from December 12 through January 4, we get Thanksgiving day off (Nov. 26), Feb 12 off, and Spring break is April 2 - 11, and we are gone for the school year June 4. So...you can come visit whenever you like!

While running errands this afternoon, our driver William (who is Ghanean) began to talk about the food he often eats here.  We have already seen the giant snails being sold on the side of the street, but I did not know that cat was a delicacy, yes, CAT! He told us how much better cat was than chicken - sick.  He also filled us in on the gruesome details behind the phrase "there's more than one way to kill a cat."  Totally bizarre! I am up for trying almost anything - but I think I am going to skip trying cat. (If you want to read details, one of the other teachers wrote more....www.anneclairserio.com)

During this conversation, I was so excited to get a phone call from the school administers to come up to the school to help pick out paint colors for the classrooms!  I was thrilled to be able to contribute to the school for the first time.  They have already said that I can paint murals!

This evening, I was able to skype with dad at J&M and Deedee at her house!!! I could hear and see them both well - I hope it was the same on their side.  If anyone has time to skype or ichat - just let me know when and I will be on line - anytime after three or four in auburn is good for me.  I am going to try to remember to take pictures tomorrow!!! 

(Here is a website where a couple here has done a much better job so far of posting pictures....http://www.vonhoyningenhuene.com/Main_Site/In_Ghana/In_Ghana.html

2 comments:

  1. awww those poor kitties!! sooo im really sad today. i missed your phone call . again. really?? i was taking a nap this time though. i had just gotten done with my first day of work! and passed out! but i learned how to make taco salad shells! hehehehe but im going to try to get somehwere wwhere i can call you asap! or call me tomorrow! i will be by my phone! i have no work!! so i CANT miss it!! ahhh!!! oh and so i am so coming and visisting i decided!! i cant wait to hear and see what you are doing?!!? oh and are you still getting e-mail?! love U!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited for you! Sounds like everything is going so well! Can't wait to come visit you!!! I don't know how to ichat, and I can't skype at work, but I'm always on gchat...have you figured that out yet? Let's chat soon!!! Love!

    ReplyDelete