"We remember before our God and Father your work produced by faith, your labor prompted by love, and your endurance inspired by hope in our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Thessalonians 1:3

Search This Blog

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Back to school!

The school is still under construction  - and we are supposed to start school Wednesday!  If anyone has not seen the building process in a third world country, it is remarkable.  Well, even before that, the Ghanaians work ethic is unreal.  They will do manual labor for only a few Ghana Cedis a day (one Ghana Cedis is equal to one and a half dollars).  The workers at the school work around the clock and even sleep there at night.  Each day they mix cement themselves to build the walls for the school.  They have one small saw for cutting the tile for the floors.  And, when we showed up to rearrange furniture today, they moved all of our file cabinets and tables and supplies into the correct rooms.  Wow - we worked hard moving everything today!  I plan on sleeping well tonight!

Since so many people have asked about what I have been eating since I have been here - I took a picture of the lunch we bought close to the school today.  It looks just like chinese food from the food court at a mall...


Except that it came from here....



It was spicy, but pretty good.  I believe the spray paint on the outside says "Simple Brother."  -ha! Chicken and rice is pretty standard here.  

I was able to move into my classroom today!  I was so excited to see all the art supplies! I have tons of great things to use for class this year.  I had been told there would be plenty of funds for supplies - but everything I found today far exceeded my expectations! I'll post pictures when it gets a little more settled.  Tomorrow it is back to meetings and further preparation for the school year!

No comments:

Post a Comment