"We remember before our God and Father your work produced by faith, your labor prompted by love, and your endurance inspired by hope in our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Thessalonians 1:3

Search This Blog

Sunday, August 9, 2009

In Africa...

... so i made it!  I am in Accra!  The city is very similar to places that I have been to in South America.  There are very nice things inside the city, while all around it I can see the poverty.  It seems to be a very typical third world country - very wealthy upper class, very poor lower class, and not much in between.  

This morning, we went to a local international church - which was very normal -- I am excited to try some of the local churches - I hear they are really different!  Then, we went to "Popaye's" for lunch - chicken and rice or french fries.  We were able to drive around the city a little and go to a mall and an outdoor market.  I got a phone! (233-278-809-056) And a surge protector/adaptor thing!  I feel well prepared and ready for life in Africa.

I am living in a part of the city called "East Legon."  It is one of the nicer areas.  All the houses here are very colorful and beautiful.  I have moved in with a missionary family living here - Laurie and Jeff Korum.  They have three precious children (who remind me of my precious cousins in Auburn) Levi is 6 and  is super into baseball, Sophie is 13 and loves to be around people, and Olivia, 17 who will arrive from the US later this week.  My permanent house here is still being built right now - and it is bright pink! 

I was able to see the school today - it is under construction as well.  The enrollment has grown rapidly over the past few years (Nothing, compared to McAdory!)  They have added new classrooms and are extending the field area outside.  My room is great, it is upstairs and has plenty of windows!

Tomorrow, we start teacher orientation! Ah! The whole "work" part of this experience is starting!! 

4 comments:

  1. I am so excited to get to share your experience through your blog! To see and learn along with you. I know you only left yesterday, but I feel sure you are already doing good things. You are in my prayers each day! Be safe, have fun, share God's world with us!
    lee lee alice

    ReplyDelete
  2. i want to see pictures so bad!! im sad i missed your phone call! my phone died of course while u were calling and when it came back on i got your message and was the saddest! i tried to call back but i dont think thats on my phone plan haha i geuss i will have to go visit trey to call u hahah im excited your that your house is pink! yay! love u!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dedee and I are so excited that you made it there! Dedee Says, "Hey precious Lauren! We miss you! Try to skype us again...you were frozen? Love you!"

    peace in africa,
    Bebe and Dedee

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you made it...now I just have to figure out skype. Let's have a skype, gchat or FB chat date soon! Love! Katie

    ReplyDelete