"We remember before our God and Father your work produced by faith, your labor prompted by love, and your endurance inspired by hope in our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Thessalonians 1:3

Search This Blog

Friday, September 10, 2010

Where does all my time go?

Now that I have caught my breathe, things seem to be speeding back up this week!  Now, I need to decide how to spend my time - and not just try to “fill” my schedule.  In Africa I had TIME, time to think, time to just be, time to spend in prayer, time to spend with people, time to travel, lots of TIME. Now that I am back in the US – I am running from this to that, and when I do take a moment to sit and think,  I feel guilty. I am plagued with thoughts like, “I SHOULD be making more of my time,” and “I SHOULD be a better steward with the time and resources I have been blessed with.”

These Kandinsky stye drawings by my third graders remind me of the busy American life!


In an article written to prepare foreign exchange students entering American universities, I found these listed as “Some Major US American Values:”

Time: U.S. Americans take pride in making the best use of their time. In the business world, "time is money". Being "on time" for class, an appointment, or for dinner with your host family is important. U.S. Americans apologize if they are late. Some instructors give demerits to students who are late to class, and students at most universities have institutional permission to leave the classroom if their instructor is 10 or 15 minutes late.

Achievement & Hard Work/Play: The foreign visitor is often impressed at how achievement oriented Americans are and how hard they both work and play. A competitive spirit is often the motivating factor to work harder. Americans often compete with themselves as well as others. They feel good when they "beat their own record" in an athletic event or other types of competition. Americans seem to always be "on the go", because sitting quietly doing nothing seems like a waste of time.

Looking to the Future and to Change: Change is equated with progress and holding on to traditions seems to imply old and outdated ways.
For the whole article visit - http://www.internationalstudentguidetotheusa.com/articles/culture.php

This article puts so much emphasis on progress and achievement. It is so interesting to realize that all of this is cultural – and not the norm for most of the World. The African culture values relationships more than achievement. Therefore, it is ok to be late to an appointment, because it is respected that you took the time needed to meet with the person before – or perhaps you ran into another friend along the way. In America – it is rude and disrespectful to come to a meeting late. That is simply NOT ok – isn’t that what we have the calendars in our bags and on our computers and smart phones for? If we are late for an appointment, we are wasting other people’s TIME.

So, what does the Bible say about time?

God says to wait on Him, that all of our running around can not earn His grace – because He gives it freely to all who ask: "Yet the LORD longs to be gracious to you; he rises to show you compassion. For the LORD is a God of justice. Blessed are all who wait for him!" – Isaiah 30:18 and "Since ancient times no one has heard, no ear has perceived, no eye has seen any God besides you, who acts on behalf of those who wait for him." – Isaiah 64:4

Solomon writes about taking pleasure in your work, which is actually opposite of most American’s view of working hard so that you can play hard: "So I saw that there is nothing better for a man than to enjoy his work, because that is his lot. For who can bring him to see what will happen after him? – Ecclesiastes 3:22

And what is TIME? Time is something we made up – and God is in ALL things at ALL times (Romans 8:28), and that “There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven." (Ecclesiastes 3:1)

Maybe I am just asking for your prayers today, for me to be able to make time to spend with God. It is our choice, regardless of what culture we are in, to choose to spend time with Him. But, it is so much harder here.  I am constantly distracted by people and stuff, which has always been a part of my American life – I just have a new perspective now. I will pray for you today too – let’s all give some TIME to our heavenly Father today, He is waiting to hear from us.

This sunset yesterday reminded me to take a minute to thank God for the little things in life - Isn't He amazing?!

1 comment:

  1. Love this post. So true! I think about that a lot. Auburn has wonderful sunsets :) cool pic.

    ReplyDelete