"We remember before our God and Father your work produced by faith, your labor prompted by love, and your endurance inspired by hope in our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Thessalonians 1:3

Search This Blog

Thursday, September 2, 2010

“How are you not perfect?!”

…someone asked me this week. Wow!  I think it’s confession time:


I am not perfect. 

I can’t imagine this coming as a surprise to anyone - it certainly was not a surprise to me!  “I make mistakes all the time – I’m not even close to perfect!” I said.  I just don’t know where in the World she got this crazy idea – but, of course – it got me thinking…

Wow, have we missed the point, if we believe that human beings are even capable of perfection.  I am not talking about believing that I am perfect – but believing that anyone besides Christ Jesus could be considered perfect!  It has been my personal experience – that when Christians, including myself, are not able to be honest about their struggles, or are unable to humble themselves – the minute we start to believe the lie that we can do it on our own – we fall.  The truth says, “For there is no distinction: for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,  and are justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus..." – Romans 3:23-25

The truth is – none of us are capable of saving ourselves – God’s grace is a gift.  It is unearned. “but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” – Romans 5:8

I think it’s important to remind ourselves that we are unworthy of salvation – that God is merciful, and only through His great love and mercy – through the gift of His son’s life – He has given us the gift of salvation.  The Bible tells us to “humble ourselves.”  I used to think that humility was something that God gave us – you know – only when we were out of line.  Like, He was pulling me back in from my prideful thoughts.  But, nope – the Bible charges us with humbling ourselves: “Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God...” 1 Peter 5:9

hum·ble / [huhm-buhl, uhm-]

–verb (used with object)
to make meek: to humble one's heart.

So, you are not perfect, I am not perfect, none of us are perfect – but we serve a perfectly loving God – who gives grace to all who ask.  So, “make meek” your own heart and ask God for some grace today.

“And I tell you, ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.” – Luke 11:9

No comments:

Post a Comment