"We remember before our God and Father your work produced by faith, your labor prompted by love, and your endurance inspired by hope in our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Thessalonians 1:3

Search This Blog

Monday, September 20, 2010

OFF BALANCED RAMBLES

“For there is no distinction: for ALL have sinned and fall short of the glory of God…” (Romans 3:32)
Yes, the Bible says we are all in this together. It has been easy for me to slip away from this sense of community – looking back now, probably because my experiences this past year of my life have been so different from the people I encounter now. I am realizing the length and depth of the process of readjusting to life in America. I can hear one of my friends saying, “everything’s a marathon, Lauren.” And he’s right - it’s going to take a while and everyday it’s going to look a little different – I am a work in progress.

Last week, I compulsively bought a package of double-stuffed Oreo’s – and began to devour them as soon as I arrived home. I still can’t leave food on my plate – simply not wanting to be wasteful. I forget to recycle ALL the time (so embarrassing) since there has been absolutely no way to do this for the past year – I just forget now.

And maybe I learned this from the missionaries, or maybe it’s my personality, probably a little bit of both – but in Ghana, there are literally people on every street corner in need – there is so much “work” to do there. There are also a lot of people in this World (US included) that just need a hug – they don’t know Jesus, and they just need some love in their life. With so much to do – I can’t help but ask: how can I help, what can I do?

Even with so much to do, God says, "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. (Matthew 11:28) And in Ecclesiastes, King Solomon writes, “Go, eat your food with gladness, and drink your wine with a joyful heart... (ch. 9 v.7) I am learning to accept the truth that, “it depends not on human will or exertion, but on God, who has mercy.” (Romans 9:16) Yes, God has this whole thing under control, He always has and He always will, I just need to allow Him to be Lord.

Right now, my balance is off! How did Oreo’s get to the very top of my priority pyramid? And why are cute shoes and football games on the bottom? God has blessed us with this World – and it is ok to be “in” it – just not “of” it: BALANCED.

No comments:

Post a Comment