"We remember before our God and Father your work produced by faith, your labor prompted by love, and your endurance inspired by hope in our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Thessalonians 1:3

Search This Blog

Monday, September 27, 2010

They will know that we are Christians by our love, by our love.

I want to love. I want to be selfless and I want to be “good,” and I want to do what is “right” – but I just keep messing up. I keep trying to do “good,” but sin just keeps “oozing” right out of me. Paul writes: “So I find it to be a law that when I want to do right, evil lies close at hand.” (Romans 7:21) What is the point of doing “good” when it brings evil closer to you?

In Romans 7, Paul continues this thought and basically says that if he does any “good,” – it is not him doing the “good” thing, but Christ in him. And if he does a “bad” thing – it is not him doing the “bad” – but the sin in him. “For I have the desire to do what is right, but not the ability to carry it out. For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I keep doing.” Romans 7:19

So, who are we, and what are we doing? Why do we even still try to do good?! CAN we get away from evil, from sin?

“Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you.” – James 4:7-8

It is hard for me to find the balance, between the fact that I am fully human – a fully sinful human – or as Paul expresses this, “Wretched man that I am!”- with the fact that God has created me perfectly according to His good purpose. Somehow in all this madness on Earth – God is glorified by the “good” and the “bad” in my life. He is glorified by the “good” that we do because it shows that He is living in us – because apart from Him we are incapable of “good.” And He is glorified in the “bad” that we do – because our God is a redeemer. All the sin in our lives shows His perfect love in how He redeems our lives and choices all for His good and perfect purposes.



So, even though our lives seem to “ooze” with sin, it is part of God’s plan for balance on Earth – which is literally “oozing” with His glory. We just can’t help ourselves. God has allowed all of the good and bad to be balanced in a way that constantly glorifies Him. “But truly, as I live, and as all the earth shall be filled with the glory of the LORD” – Numbers 14:21

God is good, all the time. We are truly “wretched” – and I praise God for redeeming my life today, and tomorrow…

2 comments:

  1. First, thank you for inspiring me and connecting me with christ.

    I have good intentions most of the time. But I always come up short when it's my own plan. I was always come up with the same conclusion. When I do things through god I feel good about them when I try to do something myself I feel bad.

    God is always with me. I am protected. However, it's up to me to choose which path I travel. Also, if i don't take care of the symptoms or source of the problem the same sins will creep up. Temptation is always present. I like this quote "the difference between a sinner and saint is that the saint never stops trying."

    I am thankful that I am loved and forgiven for my wrongs. Thankful that the worst things I have done are in the open. Because all of us fall short. But god always loves us.

    Everyday is a blessing. "For every dark night, there's a brighter day! Keep your head up!" Tupac

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.
    --Galatians 2:20

    That's the verse that came to mind while reading this. Of course, it's been coming to mind a lot lately. I really want to live it out, and it seems like the more I try the more the enemy tries to keep that from happening. But with God I know I can.

    Great post! Thanks!

    :o)Sarah

    ReplyDelete