"We remember before our God and Father your work produced by faith, your labor prompted by love, and your endurance inspired by hope in our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Thessalonians 1:3

Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Do you believe that God intervenes in your daily life?

For me, this is a no-brainer, but I went on a search to see what the World says about it.  I found several articles, surprisingly about Americans that do believe that God does intervene in their lives.  From USA Today:

Many think God's intervention can revive the dying”More than half of randomly surveyed adults — 57% — said God's intervention could save a family member even if physicians declared treatment would be futile. And nearly three-quarters said patients have a right to demand such treatment.

An interesting article from a science magazine I found stated, “Overall, people who have more education and higher income are less likely to report beliefs in divine intervention.”  To me, this has so much to do with our American way of life - so much more emphasis on science and logic than spirit and faith.  This very American outlook, whether conscience or sub-conscience, leads us to believe that we do not need God.  In Africa, most people’s lives are so out of “control," and they see their need for God in every step of their day.  Here in America, however, it is much harder for us to see our deep need for salvation.

I also found in my search today that if you don’t believe in an intervening God, you are a Deist.  Deism is a religious belief that a supreme being created the universe, and that this can be determined using reason and observation alone, without the need for either faith or organized religion.   They believe that God is the "great clockmaker" that designed everything, set it into motion, and let it do its business without interventionDeists reject that God intervenes in human life.

Just to be blunt here, I believe that it is terribly arrogant for a human to believe that they can fully understand God.  Deists religion is totally void of faith and intrapersonal experience.  I don't have time, and probably don't even realize all the times that God has intervened in my life.  And, if you accept the Bible as truth, God intervenes countless times, for His beloved Israel.  We see God intervene in people's lives in the Bible more times than I have the space to write about here.  So, yes, I believe that God intervenes in our lives.

That being said, I face another tough question: if God intervenes in my life and for the sake of Israel, why don't I have a perfect life, and why did Israel have to face trial and persecution?  God only intervenes sometimes?  I think the only truth here, is that God is a good God, but also a sovereign God.  He has a master plan for all our lives, and He does intervene for us, but only as is according to His plan.
 O Lord, you have searched me and known me!
You know when I sit down and when I rise up;
you discern my thought from afar.
You search out my path and my lying down
and are acquainted with all my ways.
Even before a word is on my tongue,
behold, O Lord, you know it altogether.
You hem me in, behind and before,
and lay your hand upon me.
Psalm 139:1-5

Yes, God knows each one of us intimately, Yes, God intervenes - because His word says so. Since the fall of man, via Adam and Eve, we have lived in a fallen World, and only God's holy spirit can give us peace here.  Israel, all of us were allowed to live fully human lives, and therefore experience things on Earth, that weren't in God's will.

I am reminded of the back of a quilt, where all the thread seems random. Or the seemingly wild garden the Holy Spirit plants in “The Shack.” The point of both being, that God is creating something wonderful, but something that we can’t understand "on this side" - in our finite human minds.   And, to us it looks chaotic, unfair, and often wrong.  The next verse of Psalm 139 sums this all up for me, He loves us, but we can not even fathom what He is working on right now!
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me;
It is high; I cannot attain it.
Psalm 139:6

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for that, Lauren. It's something I think about a lot- what role is God playing in orchestrating my life. I definitely think He knows all- knows what will happen. And I believe He is sovereign and can cause anything to happen. But when you factor in that we live in a fallen world, and we are fallen, then we see the consequences of that sin when things don't seem to work out. I was re-reading "Calm my Anxious Heart"- the chapter on trusting God with my "why's". It's so good. We may never know why God does something, the important thing is to choose to worship/trust Him in the midst of that.
    Love your posts as always! Thanks for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad I stumbled onto your page. It gives me a solid Hope in God.

    His name is Wonderful. He's a Wonderful Counselor. He is the Mighty God, Everlasting Father. He is the Prince of Peace. There are so many Wonderful things about Him. Thanks for pouring your heart out on this page. Praise God. He is the One!!

    ReplyDelete