"We remember before our God and Father your work produced by faith, your labor prompted by love, and your endurance inspired by hope in our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Thessalonians 1:3

Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

The Africa-shaped hole in my heart


There aren't many people who seem to understand me when I talk about the Africa-shaped hole in my heart.  

We often talk about the "hole" that is left in our hearts from separation, death, or other change.  In church, we talk about the Christ-shaped hole in our hearts, how we all the time try to fill it with things other than Christ.  And there is nothing in this World, except Jesus that can fill the Christ-shaped hole we all have.  It's when we fill these voids with Worldy things, rebellion, addiction, or anything at all that temporarily seems to fit, that we are led to despair.

So, what am I going to do about the Africa-shaped hole in my heart??


I am going to talk about Africa, teach about Africa, and make bulletin boards about Africa.  I am going to fill up my hole with memories, pictures, emails and phone calls with friends from Africa.  But I am also going to dive into creating community and new friendships where I am.  And, I am most importantly going to fill my Africa-shaped hole in my heart with the words from my Savior.  I am going to be intentional in allowing God to be Lord of my life - and to re-shape my heart today, and tomorrow, and the next day...

3 comments:

  1. What's most frustrating to me about the "Africa shaped hole in my heart" is when people say, "But you always complained about it there!" Just because life was hard and there were PLENTY of things to complain about doesn't mean there weren't PLENTY of things to love and to miss about it. People don't understand, can't understand, and don't care to understand how the Africa shaped hole got there in the first place. They certainly don't understand that it will always be there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the things we want to fill our heart with - and the ONLY thing that will fill it is Christ. Seek Him. Be filled with His Spirit. God creates holes so He can fill them, like Adam, when He gave him Eve. God will fill that hole. He provides. Let the hole in your heart be a call to look to Him to fill in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. awww i love this post. you are so special and i am so glad that you are here with us in america. i will listen to you talk about africa until the cows come home! i love your drawing! We all have different shape holes don't we :)

    ReplyDelete