"We remember before our God and Father your work produced by faith, your labor prompted by love, and your endurance inspired by hope in our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Thessalonians 1:3

Search This Blog

Saturday, June 5, 2010

LAST week of SCHOOL!


I just got back into Accra from working with a group of disabled Ghanaians in Nswame.  They were awesome and totally inspiring!   I traveled with my friend from church, Emily.  Emily is from the UK, and the Ghanaians can understand her English far better than mine - they mocked my English quite a bit!  Here is a picture with Emily and the group's leader:


So, we all met outside of a church downtown.  The disabilities were varied, mostly physical disabilities, and one deaf woman.  Emily know sign language and could translate for her - - so, every step of the way my words were translated into the local tribal language, twi and also to sign language.  Side note: did you know that British sing language and American sign language are two totally different languages??






We worked for hours to get some nice paper! After our lunch break, we came back to find some of the women making these great leave papers - which can be parts of design for cards.  They were pressing real leaves into the paper pulp to get the texture of the veins on the paper - awesome.


We all ended up with green or yellow hands!


But we made some really nice paper.


At school, I have been hanging artwork - the kids were so excited to see each others up in the hall!





And, I gave some awards at the awards assembly on the last day! These kids were thrilled - even though they don't look it in this picture - I promise they were!




And then, we have all begun to say good bye. It has been sad - but just not real for me yet.  Leaving Ghana, I may/probably never see some of these people again ever.  That is hard to deal with. I am not just moving down the road or to the next city - but we are all moving across oceans and cultures and time zones from each other.  Please pray for safe travels the rest of my trip, and for "good" good-byes.  It's been awesome - but I am ready to be home for a while.


1 comment:

  1. I like the "good" good byes! Make it good! Thanks for all you have done to make YOUR year there so good for us back here. Your sharing has enlightened us all. Thank you for teaching us as well. Thank you for sharing the soul of art, the real beauty all around us and the amazement of creation without and within. We are all blessed by your time there, and the sharing of one heart with one experience.
    Forever grateful, Dixie

    ReplyDelete