"We remember before our God and Father your work produced by faith, your labor prompted by love, and your endurance inspired by hope in our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Thessalonians 1:3

Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Rain!

Oh, how my perspective has changed here. I had always loved rain, but oh, how it refreshes my spirit, parched and tired from the heat here. Hearing it pour down on the roof, even for just a few minutes, is so calming and soothing. It pours down to cool the land, to settle the dust for a while, to renew life. I feel like I can even breathe better. I am so thankful for the rain.

If the rain pouring over me gives such hope and renewal, how much more does God’s outpour of grace and love and forgiveness give me, give us. His love pours out over us, washes us, renews us, changes us. It gives us the strength and the joy and the peace to face life each day.

“My lips will POUR forth praise, for you teach me Your statutes.” Psalm 119:171

I'll admit I poured forth praise over a kitchen appliance this week. I have never realized how much I loved refrigerators. Just think for a minute: what do you do that requires a fridge?

Cereal (milk) – check, if I can’t have cereal, scrambled…
Eggs – check, well then maybe…
Cheese toast - check
cold water – check, well, then, I’ll just reach for some
ice – check
lunch meat – obviously, check
vegetable sandwich – last only for a day in the heat
bread – molds in a day in the humidity

It leaves you thinking – what can I eat?! I ended up taking some cereal and milk to the school, and ate cereal for breakfast and lunch, and then went to get chicken and rice off the street for dinner. NOT healthy. ONE WEEK without – and I almost cried when we got it back. Seriously – I never knew how much I loved that appliance. Thankful.

I almost cried with excitement when the power came back on, just in time for bed on Monday. It was out – we were sweating and cranky because without light, none of us were able to do anything of the things we had brought home from school to prepare for the next day. It came back on just in time to cool off our rooms, so that we could sleep. Talk about relying on God ONE MINUTE AT A TIME. What peace there is in knowing that God knew this was going to happen – that I was somehow prepared for all of this – that He is going to get me through it. He knows exactly what we are going through ALL the time, and He is there with us.

“Oh, Lord you have searched me and known me. You know when I rise up and when I lay down, you discern my path from afar.” Psalm 139:1

1 comment: