"We remember before our God and Father your work produced by faith, your labor prompted by love, and your endurance inspired by hope in our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Thessalonians 1:3

Search This Blog

Saturday, October 3, 2009

Sweeping the dirt ... and blessings!

I had heard the myth of africans sweeping the dirt, but to see it, over and over again begins a whole cultural dialogue.  The ghanaians say they sweep the dirt to clear off the leaves.  Yet, they leave plastic trash anywhere it lies, and the dirt on the road or driveways (where we might feel inclined to sweep the dirt back into the grass or wooded area) does not seem to bother them.  So, everyday, while I am running or biking, I see the Ghanaians killing the tiny patches of grass that are stubborn enough to grow in the climate here.  They hit it with "brooms" made of twigs strung together.  They literally sweep the dirt, allowing for no vegetation to grow.

So, I begin to think about how I "sweep the dirt?" What do I do because it is cultural norm, but doesn't really matter, and could actually be counter productive?  Hm.  Maybe exercising? Everyone does it at home - I didn't realize how often I liked to exercise until I was here - and the Ghanaians don't exercise - and why would they? They walk everywhere, and barely get enough to eat.  Exercise is as bizarre to them as sweeping the dirt is to me.  Hm.

Yesterday, I went straight to the orphanage after school! Patty and John (Mrs. Laurie's brother and sister in law) has been here for a few weeks getting paperwork ready to adopt two brothers from the orphanage - and Friday it happened! They had been pushing paperwork through the US Embassy for weeks, getting medical check ups and spending lots of time with their boys at the orphanage.  Yesterday there was a prayer ceremony for the two boys leaving.  Luke and Nathan were smiling ear to ear about moving to America!  They had their backpacks and ball caps on, ready for their new life! The prayer ceremony was the most humbling, breaking, amazing, God glorifying thing ever.  Overwhelming.  All the orphans sat around the boys and their new parents and each one prayed for them.  Then, they sang a song about God's love being with them, and they all began to cry and hug on the boys leaving.

I could feel these kids hearts breaking all over again.  And they know these aren't the last people in their lives they will loose - everyone is transient in their lives.  It broke my heart - but it was also awesome to be able to say that I would be back.

Here is Patty and John, and their oldest son Mark's blog: http://ourghanaadoption.blogspot.com  (They have GREAT pictures from the orphanage)

I am hearing good news from home the past day or two!  Erin's surgery went well and she has another one scheduled in a few weeks.  It sounds like they are still unsure of the magnitude of the situation.  Keep her recovery in your prayers.  Two friends found out they are pregnant!!!! I can't wait to be aunt Lauren! And, I hope to see you both over Christmas break, Susan Carothers, and Katie Heard Howell!!!!  Yay! I love good news!

No comments:

Post a Comment