"We remember before our God and Father your work produced by faith, your labor prompted by love, and your endurance inspired by hope in our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Thessalonians 1:3

Search This Blog

Monday, November 29, 2010

Our call to relate in truth and love

“In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God.” John 1:1-2  And we know “the word” is Jesus Christ from verse 14: “And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth.”

Now, I’m not even going to pretend to fully comprehend all of this – but I am going to offer you my reflections on the fact that these verses clearly state that “in the beginning” there was a relationship. I am amazed to realize that before us humans were even a thought – God the Father and Jesus Christ, the word were together – in relationship with one another.

This whole universe we live in began with one perfect relationship. Can you even imagine what it would be like to be in a “perfect” or sinless relationship??? In a song I have just been introduced to by Phil Wickham (whom I strongly recommend – it’s kind of alternative Christian music – I like it!) His song “Eden” is about human yearning for a perfect relationship with God – wanting to be in Eden with God before the fall – it paints such a beautiful picture of the simple joys of life without sin:

“When the first light brightened the dark
Before the breaking of the human heart
There was You and there was me
Innocence was all I knew
'Cause all I had to know was You
We were running underneath the trees


I wanna see you face to face
Where being in your arms is the permanent state
I want it like it was back then
I wanna be in Eden

I remember how You'd call my name
And I would meet You at the garden gate
How the glory of Your love would shine
And I remember when the stars were young
You breathed life into my lungs
Oh I never felt so alive”

It’s so awesome to think about being in that perfect relationship with someone – and even more with our maker! And – He wants that relationship with us now – it’s just a lot harder with sin in the world. I’ve said this before – but I believe the whole point of our existence is to learn to be in relationship with God.

So, it ALL started with one simple and perfect relationship- and today it is still ALL about relationships. There is so much for us to learn from reading the Bible about the relationship between God the Father and Jesus Christ, His Son – and there is so much for us to learn from relationships we are in today. From reading the Bible, we know that we are called to center our lives, actions, and words around God’s truth. So, let’s take that truth – with a lot of love – into our relationships today!

“Rather, speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in every way into him who is the head, into Christ, from whom the whole body, joined and held together by every joint with which it is equipped, when each part is working properly, makes the body grow so that it builds itself up in love.” – Ephesians 4:15-16

3 comments:

  1. Great insight. Wonderful inspiration. Fabulous goal. Such freedom. Amazing grace and peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so inspiring and amazing Lauren! So thankful to have you as a cousin and friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eden reminds me of U2. When I think of my relationship with god, I enjoy listening to mercy me I can only imagine.

    It's hard to imagine being in a perfect relationship. I love imperfections. I think things/relationships/people are more pristine in the beginning. As we age, the sands and sins of time, wear on us.

    Indeed, there is so much to learn. I wish you luck!

    ReplyDelete