"We remember before our God and Father your work produced by faith, your labor prompted by love, and your endurance inspired by hope in our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Thessalonians 1:3

Search This Blog

Thursday, November 19, 2009

In the beginning...



Yesterday afternoon at the orphanage, I read the kids the story of creation, and asked them to draw each part as I read.  While they didn't seem to be listening, they did some nice drawings.  It's so interesting to think about how these kids see life.  They loved hearing the story, and drawing it - it's amazing how excited the kids get when they are simply given plain white paper and old crayons.

Heavy on my heart right now, are the numerous people in need here in Ghana, who live everyday in poverty and filth and hopelessness, and my friend Erin dealing with physical illness.   I can’t help but ask God why He allows such injustices? And every time in my life I have asked such questions – God sends me to Job, who “was blameless and up right, one who feared God and turned away from evil.” 1:1

When God has allows Job's life and physical wellbeing to be violently taken from him, Job and his friends try to justify the actions of the Lord, and Job defends himself by reminding God of his righteousness. “...In the days when God watched over me, when His lamp shone upon my head, and by His light I walked though darkness, as I was in my prime when the friendship of God was upon my tent, When The Almightly was yet with me..” 29:2-5

We are so quick to say to God – Why me? Why her? Why them? I don’t deserve this, she doesn’t deserve that, they don’t deserve this and Job definitely didn’t deserve to loose his family, health, and prosperity.  Job cries out to God in defense of the life he has led, and God rips into Job’s spirit, my spirit, your spirit with these verses:

“Then the Lord answers Job out of the whirlwind and said:”

(I hear God say this like Mufasa on the Lion King – angry at Simba, echoing and surrounding)

“Who is this that darkens counsel with words without knowledge? Dress for action like a man; I will question you and you make it known to me.


Where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth? Tell me, if you have understanding. Who determined its measurements – surely you know! Or who stretched the line upon it? On what were its bases sunk, or who laid its cornerstone, when the morning stars sang together and all the sons of God shouted for Joy... Have you commanded the morning since your days began, and caused the dawn to know its place…”

God is bigger than anything we could ever imagine, and He loves us more than we can comprehend.  We just have to learn to trust Him.

1 comment:

  1. Back from a week in Auburn and now my computer has crashed, and it looks like we have to send it to California to fix it - or try to reprieve it. Techonology...how it keeps us connected, yet it frustrates us - especially when we don't have it. I've been missing your blog - your lack of internet and my lack of connection with travels. Miss you and love you and can't wait to see you. But in the meantime loving you from Florida.
    The truths you are learning are amazing and so profound.

    ReplyDelete