"We remember before our God and Father your work produced by faith, your labor prompted by love, and your endurance inspired by hope in our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Thessalonians 1:3

Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

We are making African masks in class this week! This is a project I did last year - but this year - I am actually IN africa!! So, I have researched the tribes that are present in and around Accra and we made masks and mask prints, with the inspiration from right here! So fun!

This is a second grader working on a large mask stamp, to create a print of her design - the kids loved getting to draw with their hands in the paint!

Lunch at AIS is one of the most glorious times! The cultures of the children we teach translate into the most diverse packed lunches you have ever seen.  The Ghanaians bring chicken and rice, almost always:

The Koreans bring the neatest little dishes with tiny compartments for each type of food, and of course chop sticks:

I fell in love with this Korean treat last week during the Bake Sale at school - it basically a giant sushi roll, it is so yummy!  One of the kids brought me one at lunch today! I was so excited!

And then there are the Americans - sandwiches, chips, carrots and juice boxes:

All the kids are so precious and I am having a great time getting to know them and their cultures!

I was able to go back to the orphanage today - those kids are amazing.  Two brothers are getting adopted next week by a relative of the family I am living with.  They are so excited to meet their mother and to move to the US.  I can not even begin to imagine what that would be like, to know your life is about to change so drastically in just a matter of time.  

I am still working out sketches for murals at the orphanage.  I am planning on the first mural being inside some of the children's bedrooms.  Hopefully later, I will be able to paint on the walls around the house as well.  As I am planning, please prayerfully consider supporting a mural project or after school art class at the orphanage.  You can donate online on the NICS website: https://nics.org/donations/donate.php My support number is: 003331.  Anything donated comes to me in Africa, so that we can love on these children, and bless the orphanage that cares for all of them.

Thank you for reading - I love hearing back from you!

3 comments:

  1. I love hearing about all the kids that you are teaching, and that are teaching you as well! What an incredible experience you are having! Thanks for sharing with all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think of Africa being painted with love from Lauren. Just think, bringing color into their lives can bring joy and even peace. Thanks for coloring Africa with love. Dix~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you're having the best time!!!

    BTW, I got SKYPE!!! I just haven't figured out how to make it work. I found your name on there, so hopefully I'll figure it out soon so we can chat!!! Miss you!

    Love,

    Katie

    ReplyDelete