"We remember before our God and Father your work produced by faith, your labor prompted by love, and your endurance inspired by hope in our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Thessalonians 1:3

Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Orchestra

Here is The Ghanaian National Orchestra we heard this weekend! The concert hall did not look like much, I can not get the image of the broken stained glass windows out of my mind.  I did not know until I was there, that the concert was a benefit for Matthew 25, which is a refuge for people with the HIV/AIDS virus. As most of you know, this affects tons of people in Africa - largely because of the lack of education.  A group of teens from the house did a skit during "half -time" of the concert.  While, it was not the best acting I have ever seen - it was one of the most moving things I have ever witnessed.  These teenagers who are infected with HIV (please note - these kids were too young to have contracted the virus - so, I would assume that most of them were born with it) I couldn't help but compare the day to day challenges of these kids to the kids at AIS, or kids back in the states, that are consumed with social events or facebooking (often I am consumed by these things as well) but these kids we saw put things back into perspective for me.

The orchestra was unbelievable! They didn't appear "professional" their outfits actually reminded me of old jail uniforms with black and white strips.  But, I have to remember this is third world - its just the way it is here - and they were amazing.  The singers were phenomenal.  Pretty impressive.

No comments:

Post a Comment