"We remember before our God and Father your work produced by faith, your labor prompted by love, and your endurance inspired by hope in our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Thessalonians 1:3

Search This Blog

Sunday, September 13, 2009



So...we went bowling at this Chinese/pizza restaurant/bowling alley/video game arcade to celebrate Meg's birthday Friday night!  It has been quite the birthday season - HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Lydia and Gray and Elizabeth and Deedee - y'all try to skype this afternoon - I would love to see you!!  The bowling alley was owned by chinese people, staffed by Africans, and we, the "obroni" were the only customers.  I always think that the culture clash is so interesting here - while most everything is African - there are places here that are very "international" - these places have SO many cultures coming together.... with a little African flavor.


Another example is at the most glorious pool I have found in Accra.  I made my first visit to the Shang-ri-la Hotel pool yesterday (yes, Birmingham friends, Shang-ri-la, just like the Chinese place in crestline- ha!)  Here, I found the most interesting mixture of cultures.  The ghanaians were plenty, and very chatty.  There were Asians, Indians, and a ton of "obroni" - of which we were the only group speaking English!  It was so interesting to guess where the people were from and why they were in Accra.  Yesterday at the pool might have been one of the most relaxing days since I have been here.  The pool was beautiful, the weather was amazing, food was delicious, book was delightful, and I was only a little sun burnt!



As you can see, the pool looks nice - and if you look closely - in the background of this picture, is a polo field - and there are people riding horses.  It's almost like my dad's back porch! Just kidding - nothing can compare to dad's back porch!  Maybe, if he had some gianormous iguanas it would be the same...


It was very enjoyable.  I went to dinner and watched a movie with some of the other teachers - just a regular Saturday!


Today, we went to Asbury church in Accra - the church where the worship is so amazing.  They started with a song about "Blessing God with this beat, and with dancing...." so fun - we sang several songs that we sing in America - but they just play them different here!  The women were waving their scarves, and everyone was dancing!


Psalms 140 - 145 has been a theme in my life this week - it's funny how God does that - and how it takes us so long to catch on!  I have been learning so much about the character of our God since I have been here - I am learning to pray for Him to change me, to change my heart more and more everyday:


"Teach me to do your will,
for you are my God!
Let your Spirit lead me
on level ground!"
143: 10

And I am learning to praise Him in ALL things and in ALL situations - sometimes we perceive His greatest blessings completely incorrectly because we forget to look to Him for "the peace... that surpasses  all understanding." 

"Every day I will bless you
and praise your name forever and ever.
Great is the Lord, and greatly to be praised,
and His greatness is unsearchable."
145: 2-3

I wish everyone a blessed Sunday!  I will try to be on skype later today - Hope to see you!

No comments:

Post a Comment