"We remember before our God and Father your work produced by faith, your labor prompted by love, and your endurance inspired by hope in our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Thessalonians 1:3

Search This Blog

Monday, February 21, 2011

FAITH that CHANGES

“We are saved by faith without works,
but the faith that saves works.”
– Gary Spooner

After some thought – it is evident that this phrase not only creates parenthesis around a balance between faith and works – but also gives us some criteria to evaluate the authenticity of our faith in general. Works alone do not save us – but faith apart from works is not a true faith in the living God at all.

In the past, I have often confused “works” with doing the “right” thing according to what others expect of me. I am learning that work resulting from an active faith is not just doing the “right thing,” or what WE think we should do – it’s actually the opposite! Spirit led “work” is shown only when we abandon our human nature and letting God show us what he wants us to do in that specific situation. In challenging situations, “fight or flight” are our basic choices. True faith in Christ gives us peace to face challenges head-on as we are led often into uncomfortable and "risky" places, without ever looking back. It is when we are unable to put full trust in the living God that our nature tells us to flee, to run and hide – to stay “safe” instead of allow ourselves to be challenged and changed.


And the situation is ALWAYS changing!! Even the Toomer's oaks which have been a landmark in Auburn and part of the delight tradition of "Rolling Toomer's Corner" after an Auburn win are going to die, and downtown Auburn is going to change.

I am praying for faith that will allow me to face the challenges that are presented to me this week. I am praying that I can trust Jesus with even the tiniest details of my life, that I can embrace challenges, and allow each one to change and soften my heart a little more than the one before.

No comments:

Post a Comment