"We remember before our God and Father your work produced by faith, your labor prompted by love, and your endurance inspired by hope in our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Thessalonians 1:3

Search This Blog

Friday, January 21, 2011

Who are you seeking?

“You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you,” declares the LORD…” Jeremiah 29:13-14

We are all seeking something.  Some of us relationships, others jobs or cars or a new pair of boots (that one is me), but all of us for some sort of truth in this world; for God and for purpose.

This week, I began reading (listening) to David Platt’s book Radical, and I began to consider the possibility that some times I may be much less seeking the true God, and more often seeking some sort of a “god” that fits my needs and desires. 

As Americans, we are used to having control of our lives.  We are used to being given a check list and told “start here.” But, like Platt writes – that is not what the gospel is about and that is not what the true God requires of us. He doesn’t need us to check off anything for Him, instead He asks that we give up our checklists and schedules and simply follow Him.

“Whoever finds their life will lose it, and whoever loses their life for my sake will find it.” – Matthew 10:39

So, take a minute with me today to re-examine what “god” you are seeking.  To me this means daily working against our culture and human instinct. If you are like me and sliding into a relationship with a “god” who just wants to make you “happy” - STOP - and do the opposite: completely give up your desires and needs, and begin to search for TRUTH, remembering that He promises that when we seek Him with all our heart, we will find Him.
 
"I am the way, and the truth, and the life.” – John 14:6

No comments:

Post a Comment