"We remember before our God and Father your work produced by faith, your labor prompted by love, and your endurance inspired by hope in our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Thessalonians 1:3

Search This Blog

Friday, January 28, 2011

Fun Art Facts: Most Expensive Paintings Ever

Doing research for a class project, I came across this article about a Titian painting that just sold at Sotheby's for $16.9 million dollars.  And so - I began to research paintings that have sold for the highest prices in the past...

It seems there is discrepancies between each list I found (some adjust the prices according to inflation, and perhaps some were just in need of an update), but these paintings were close to the top on all the lists I found:
1.
No. 5, 1948
Jackson Pollock
$140 million

2.
Woman III
Willem de Kooning
 $137.5 million

3. (my personal favorite on the list!)
 Adele Bloch-Bauer I
Gustave Klimt
$135 million

4.
Boy with a Pipe
Pablo Picasso
$104 million

5.

Portrait du Dr. Gachet
Vincent Van Gogh
$82.5 million

6.
Au Moulin de la Galette
August Renior
$78.1 million

I wonder what intrigued people about these paintings?   Is there one universal thing that we are all drawn to in art?   For me - I am intrigued by a personal connection with the  art.  I love to buy art from my friends, or art that expresses a feeling I relate to.  I wonder why these paintings were purchased; what the personal connections to these paintings were, or if they were bought just for their historical significance? Hmmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment