"We remember before our God and Father your work produced by faith, your labor prompted by love, and your endurance inspired by hope in our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Thessalonians 1:3

Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Life Lessons from Africa

1. Contentment can be found regardless of our circumstances.

This past year, I was visiting remote villages in Ghana, searching for people who may benefit from a microloan or new skill learned – to provide for them and their families. While meeting the people, I was overwhelmed by their lack of interest in the “American Dream” – or the need to improve their lives. They were completely content with the life they had, the community they were living in, and working hard all day, just to be able to eat that night. They didn’t need anything – they were content. Until we allow ourselves to be filled completely with God’s love, we will be searching for this contentment elsewhere – resulting in an even more empty heart than we began with.  I have learned not to lie to myself and believe that things would be different if I were just in some other place – because the circumstance doesn’t matter – it’s the state of your heart that matters.

2. People are the same no matter where in the World you are!

There are kind people, and there are mean people, there are people who are honest and giving, and there are people who will use you or “throw you under the bus” to get their way. There are people who know Jesus and choose to live according to His standards, and there are people who don’t know Jesus, and do not live by His standards. Any of these people can be found in rural Alabama towns, remote African villages, or anywhere else in the World.  So, learn to be in relationship with imperfect people - forgive, love, and be loved where ever you are.  (Disclaimer: if God gives you specific instruction to “go” somewhere – then go!! But, until then – you are right where He wants you)

3. God doesn’t "NEED" me.

I admit it – I have been arrogant enough to believe that God “needed” me. I felt very strongly that because God led me to Africa that he “needed” me to do work there. And more recently, I have pondered why God “needs” me back in Auburn. Truth is: God doesn’t “need” me. God is sovereign and all-powerful – and He can move mountains – with or without me! All the “work” I did in Africa this past year – He could have accomplished without me – but He loves me so much that He blessed me with a year to serve Him. I’m not saying that our all-powerful God can’t use us – because He will and does “use” ALL things for His glory – but he can only “use” us when we have given up our own agendas and are completely surrendered to Him.

Just a few thoughts that have re-surfaced recently – I hope and pray they encourage you in your walk with Christ today!

No comments:

Post a Comment