"We remember before our God and Father your work produced by faith, your labor prompted by love, and your endurance inspired by hope in our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Thessalonians 1:3

Search This Blog

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Through the eye of a needle...

Africa transformed my perspective on wealth.  Before Africa, "wealthy" would have meant those who are billionaires.   After Africa - anyone who is able to have food, clothes, and shelter is wealthy.  I posted this fact from the Global Issues website a while ago:

At least 80% of humanity lives on less than $10 a day.

Wow!  That means that I am wealthy.  That means that I am really rich, because I live on ten or a hundred times that much each day.  Since I am now "wealthy," the meaning of this verse has changed:

"How difficult it will be for those who have wealth to enter the kingdom of God!" (Mark 10:23)

Yes, all Americans are "wealthy" - and I believe that our wealth does make it difficult to see our need for God.  But I praise God for what Christ says next, "With man it is impossible, but not with God.  For all things are possible with God." (Mark 10:27)

No comments:

Post a Comment