"We remember before our God and Father your work produced by faith, your labor prompted by love, and your endurance inspired by hope in our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Thessalonians 1:3

Search This Blog

Friday, October 1, 2010

My "sin shades"

The Bible says that we are all part of an epic spiritual battle here on Earth. “For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places.” (Ephesians 6:12) And – Praise God! through Jesus’ sacrifice, He has prepared us to fight! He has given us our “spiritual armor,” so that we might stand in battle.

Sometimes this spiritual battle is so evident in my daily life, and sometimes I forget. I feel like this world tells me to put on my “sin shades” which look awesome, but make life seem a little grey - so that the battle blends right in with the rest of my life.
In the Old Testament, God pulls off Elisha and his servant’s “sin shades” and allows them to see the spiritual battle that is present around them. The king of Syria brought his army to attack Israel, and there they were - surrounding Elisha’s house! His servant was afraid – but Elisha prayed that God would “open his eyes that he may see.” And his servant saw God’s army – “the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire all around” (2 Kings 6:17) So, yes, we are fighting a battle. But, no, we are not alone. God is on our side with a mountain full of angels! And, “If God is for us, who can be against us?” (Romans 8:31) And - let me tell you, God is FOR YOU.

So, today, I am taking off my “sin shades,” again and putting on “Godly glasses,” my spiritual armor – which change the World around me from dark and grey – to light and life. My “Godly glasses” bring to light the sin around me, and the spiritual battle that I am fighting. They come from talking to God, and learning the truth, which is revealed to us through the Old Testament prophets, the words and actions of Jesus Christ in the Bible, and now, everyday through the Holy Spirit. And the truth is – God sees this World as a constant battle field. His word brings the battle field to light, and reveals the attacks of the enemy.

Thank you Jesus, for helping me remember to take off my “sin shades” today! The light that we can see only through your truth reveals what needs to change in our hearts today, and fills us with hope for the day when we will see all things clearly: “For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known.” 1 Corinthians 13:12

No comments:

Post a Comment