"We remember before our God and Father your work produced by faith, your labor prompted by love, and your endurance inspired by hope in our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Thessalonians 1:3

Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

I am in His hands

It's funny how lessons we learn in life, we sometimes have to learn over again. I am learning (again) that because God cares for me, I can trust Him. I am letting go of the plans and expectations I have for my life. I love to think of my life as a blank canvas for God to paint on. I have to prepare the surface by giving to Him my whole heart and mind.

"But as for me, I am in Your hands. Do with me as seems good and right to You." (Jeremiah 26:14)

This has been my "life verse" since middle school, and is how I am choosing to live my life today. A few months ago, my life was all in place to live and work another year in Birmingham, AL. Doors there began to close which opened me up to other opportunities. God used ALL parts of my life - the "good" and the "bad" - to get my focus on listening to Him.

"And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to His purpose." Romans 8:28
About a month ago, I was offered a teaching position that I had applied for months before and simply never believed would come to fruition. I was offered a position teaching art at American International School(AIS) in Accra, Ghana through the Network of International Christian Schools (NICS).



Of course I had to google Ghana to see where it was! I know much more about it now and will be able to tell you tons over the next year. I prayed about this opportunity, spoke with friends and family, and accepted the job just in time to attend training or "Pre-Field Orientation" in Southaven, MS. This two weeks gave me so much peace about my decision to teach overseas. I met the principal and several teachers I will be teaching with, learned about the culture I will be living in, and about the culture of the students I will be teaching.

AIS is an International Christian School - which means that I will be teaching kids from families displaced from all over the world in Accra, Ghana. These could be children of ambassadors, diplomats, CEOs, missionaries, or anyone else desiring a "western" education in the area. The school is in the process of ACICS accreditation and follows the Virginia State education standards. We start teacher work days August 10, and school begins the 19th.

I have been living in Auburn, AL, keeping my grandmother Deedee company and getting to spend time with family. I am in Orlando right now, getting to spend some quality time with my Aunt Dixie. I will be back in Auburn for the remainder of the Summer and I fly to Ghana on August 7 from Atlanta. Please pray for God's will in my life, and also for His protection and blessing on my life and ministry in Africa.

1 comment:

  1. Lauren, I so look forward to keeping up with you over these long miles through this. I thank you now for all you will write for us. Each one of us will learn and grow with you as you share with us. And I promise to pray for you as you go and start to see all that God has for you. You are inspired by the Creator, and we are all being inspired by you. Thank you for sharing your time and heart with us.

    ReplyDelete